Friday, September 11, 2015

Right Brain Redux: Day 19 of 30-Day Creativity Challenge (Thursday)

Right Brain Redux Day 19: Day late and More than a Dollar Short

For day 19, we both had photography assignments: 

Jess: Post a picture of the most interesting thing you saw today


We had a long day ahead of us. I had an appointment for testing, and Kevin had a doctor's appointment. Afterwards, we headed to Sam's which about another half an hour away from our doctors' offices. While waiting for Kevin, the boys and I napped in the van. I noticed the parking lot had a lot of trees with these pink, spikey-looking fruits on them. I'd never seen anything like them. They were slightly larger than cherries, but not quite golf ball sized. The diameter was probably close to the size of a half-dollar. (It's weird that those aren't really a common reference anymore.) After Kevin got back, I stepped over to the tree and snapped some pictures. I also took pictures of them smashed all on the sidewalk. The pulp inside was yellowish and very hmm... gushy. (A very technical term there, I know.) 




































When we got back home, it was pretty late. Everyone was exhausted, so we just put the boys to bed and crashed. I couldn't go to bed without first looking up what kind of trees these might be though. Thanks to Google, ArborDay.org, and the blog Eat The Weeds, I found out these were Kousa Dogwood (Japanese Dogwood) trees. It's a cousin to the Flowering Dogwood, (definitely a tree this Georgia girl is more familiar with!) and their fruit is edible! (I thought about trying one when I found them, but logical adult-me won that argument. She's no fun sometimes.) Just to see, I looked up recipes too. They don't have a lot of yield, so mostly I found jam recipes. To me, learning or discovering something new is really interesting, so those were my photographs for this particular challenge. Fun!



Kevin- Find the letters of his name in everyday objects and nature

Finding the letters of my name wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, but it was fun. I couldn't set up the letters or create them. I had to find them already there. Taking letters from signs didn't count either. The "K" was in the gate of a dog lot. I found the "E" in mossy logs deep in the woods halfway up the side of a mountain while hunting ginseng with mini-me. The "I" is a porch post. "V" showed up in a pair of Pex waterline crimpers leaning against the wall. Finally, I discovered "N" in a fence line.








This was a pretty cool project, and I had to stretch my imagination a bit to find them all, even though there were only five. I put them together so you can see how they turned out. Here it is in both color and black & white.




Share |

No comments: