Sunday, April 29, 2012

Pushing Through Towards Something Better // Eating Your Carrots

I'm finishing up my last week of college. It's been all the cliche-ique things... harder than I ever imagined, an up-and-down roller coaster, super expensive, etc. Ten years ago exactly, I was pushing through to finish my Associate's Degree in Arts. I was pregnant and extremely apprehensive about the future. I wasn't even sure I'd be going back to school.

I'm still not sure about the future. That baby is almost ten now. He's a lot of the reason of why I am finishing. My mom and I call it, "eating our carrots." I know school was the right choice for my future,  just like my mom always stressed to us the importance of eating our vegetables.

What I didn't know was the absolute struggle it would be... late night classes, financial aid nightmares, "group work" that I did on my own...

My mother disliked carrots, but she ate them in front of us anyway. She knew she was setting an example.
We laugh now about it, and every time I've had yet another academic hill to climb, we say "gotta eat your carrots!"

My son will later see how hard I've worked towards this goal, and more than anything, I hope it inspires him to eat some carrots of his own.

Thanks mom, for eating your carrots.




No comments: