Thursday, April 28, 2011

Finding Linkages In Your Home Decor


                                                         




CopperAndTin's Etsy Shop

When it comes to home decor, I find that I'm most inspired by pieces that reminisce time spent at my great-grandmothers' houses. Their homes both hit design peaks around the 60's and 70's; therefore, most of the items that adorned their shelves, walls, curio cabinets, beds, etc. were an eclectic mix of mid-century modern, southern, a little bit country, vintage (for their time), antiques, and even some elements of funky... my Ma-Ma Smith's love of all things green comes to mind.

Whether you love vintage or not, have pieces that actually were in your loved ones' homes, or just want to decorate with what you find, don't be hesitant to think seriously about what evokes emotions from you. Yes, it's "just a black rotary phone;" however, it can also be a linkage to something far greater.

I find pieces all the time at flea markets, yard sales, and thrift stores that make me say, "Hey! My Ma-Ma had that!" It's a special feeling to connect on a deeper level with that part of me... the little girl that found it fascinating to watch my grandmother make biscuits or sew a button. The connection isn't with the inanimate object... the phone, the button, the wooden flour bowl... it's with the memories. What creates a beautiful home that feels like "home" are the memories and emotions. Think of what can bring those feelings back for you or what you could see yourself creating memories amongst, when integrating pieces into your home decor.

"I long, as does every human being, to be at home wherever I find myself." 
--Maya Angelou







No comments: