Friday, September 10, 2010

Decluttering For Christ: Day One

We've been struggling for the last few months with keeping things organized and clean at our house. It's felt like at times, that we spend more time maintaining and organizing our "stuff" than we do being a family together.

Letting things take over our lives has been a gradual process. My husband and I were married almost two years ago. When he moved in, the house he, I, and our six-year-old son shared was barely over 700 square feet in space, and not near enough of that was closet space! Combining our lives was challenging to say the least. We thought when we moved into our new house last spring, that things would be easier. However, once we started bringing in things that had been in storage all that time, it quickly became a cluttered mess as well.

Lately, we've been drawing ourselves and our family closer to each other and closer     to God. It's important to my husband and I that we raise our son in a strong, Christian home with solid, Christian values. The more we pray and study on what to do, the more both of us are coming to realize... we just don't need the excess!

So now the new challenge is where to begin. He and I both have been discussing it for the past week or so. We've talked all around how to start, and I've even already begun to start with going through my clothes. I tried to do a bit of quick research online about how to get started; however, my ADD always kicked in and I found myself on Facebook writing a message to a friend, checking my email, and searching for a wedding gift. What "research" I did get done though, I didn't really find anything specific to decluttering in order to simplify one's life in order to draw closer to God. Thus, this blog entry emerged!

I don't know how long this will take us. I've never been a "get it done in 30 days or less" sort of person. It's like trying to eat healthier. You can't commit to a diet. You have to commit to a lifestyle. That sort of commitment is what this endeavor is all about. We're changing our lives.

I can't shake this belief deep within my heart too, that this is what God needs us to do so that he can use us. Furthermore, in doing this for God and for our family, we can move forward in faith and accomplish his purposes for our lives.








No comments: